Meeting and training. Click HERE for dates.
The Harford County Council of PTAs, Inc. was established in 1939 as a federation of PTAs in Harford County. read more
by Bruce Butz, Scholarship Committee Chair
Since 1988, the Harford County Council of PTAs has sponsored this award in honor of Mrs. Bull and her tireless and selfless efforts on behalf of children's welfare. She served during the 1950s as National PTA Legislative Chair, Maryland PTA President, Maryland State PTA Legislative Chair, President of HCCPTA, and President of the Jarrettsville Elementary PTA. She was also President of the Maryland Council on Education following World War II. She died on November 13, 1990, at the age of 86. The Harford County Council PTA continues this award program in her memory.
The Harford County Council of PTA, Inc. is pleased to announce its scholarship program for the 2017/2018 school year in which up to eight (8) $500.00 awards will be presented (dependent on sufficient funding and application content).
The purpose of this award program is to provide financial assistance to students of the Parent Teacher Association/Parent Teacher Student Association (PTA/PTSA) who are pursuing their goal toward advanced education. Since 1991, Harford County Council has provided $48,600 to 104 individuals. All Harford County High School Seniors, accepted at an institution of higher learning, with a GPA of at least 2.0, and a valid PTA/PTSA membership from any one of the 50 Harford County PTA/PTSA schools are eligible to apply for the Betty Bull Award.
The Betty Bull Award Deadline is April 3, 2018.
Applications can be secured from the Harford county Public School System/s website, www.hcps.org, or our website – www.hcc-pta.org.
1. Must be a senior in a Harford County public high school.
2. Must have applied and been accepted at a post-secondary institution, e.g., college technical school, etc.
3. Must have achieved a minimum GPA of 2.0.
4. A copy of the student’s PTA/PTSA membership card, the parent’s or legal guardian’s PTA/PTSA membership card, or the signature of the President verifying PTA membership of a sponsoring PTA/PTSA only must be provided with this application.
5. Money awarded by the scholarship must be used for tuition, transportation, books and other associated materials, room and board to a college or technical school.
Selection Criteria (rating for Award applicants is based on a scale of 100%)
1. Goals (40%)
2. Volunteer work/Extracurricular activities (30%)
3. Grades (GPA counts as 10% of the final process)
4. Written application (10%)
5. Letters of Reference (5%)
6. Financial need (5%)
1. Complete the application, also available online at www.hcc-pta.org.
2. Verify that all supporting material required below is submitted in your packet.
3. Mail to:
Betty Bull Award Selection Committee
Harford County Council of PTA, Inc.
P. O. Box 435
Bel Air, MD 21014
Deadline: Application must be received by April 3, 2018
SUPPORTING MATERIAL REQUIRED:
1. Completed 2018 Award Application and Parts I, II & III by the deadline date (April 3, 2018).
2. Sealed Transcript of high school credits earned, including senior year 1st semester and GPA.
3. Two letters of recommendation from teachers, employers, sponsor, etc. (Family members may NOT be included as references)
4. Copy of current PTSA or PTA membership card or signature of only a PTA/PTSA President verifying PTA membership of student, parent, or legal guardian.
Build PTA Success Through
Leadership and Teamwork!
Harford County Council of PTAs
every child, one voice
National PTA has defined advocacy as the act of mobilizing individuals and local PTAs to work with Maryland PTA and National PTA to improve programs and policies that benefit our youth. read more