Harford County PTA Leaders, April 17, 2019
A primary purpose of PTA is to advocate for families and children. The County Executive has sent his proposed budget to the Harford County Council for their review. The CE included $10M plus another $650K which has been reserved specifically for mental health.
We encourage you to share your voice on behalf of this cause. If you don't know what to say, you may personalize this email and send it to email@example.com. At many of the County Council sessions I attended, the correspondence received has been mentioned.
Feel free to share with your membership.
I will also keep you informed of upcoming events concerning the budget. If you have questions, please let me know.
•To cope with an underfunded school system, Harford County Public Schools is on track to eliminate an additional 100 teacher and administrator positions next year, bringing the total positions lost over the last 10 years to more than 550. Other Maryland school systems are adding teachers, administrators, and school psychologists. [Source #5]
•Average elementary school class size in Harford County Public Schools is 33.4 versus the average across the State of Maryland of 21.3. [Source #4]
•Harford County ranks at the bottom of all Maryland Counties (24 out of 24) for the amount of money spent per student on education. [Source #1]
•Harford County has the 5th highest property tax rate and the 9th highest income tax rate out of 24 counties. [Sources #2 & 3]
1. Overview of Maryland Local Governments, Finances and Demographic Information. Department of Legislative Services 2019. Page 90.
2. 2018-2019 County & Municipality Tax Rate. Maryland Department of Assessments & Taxation.
3. Spotlight on Maryland Tax Rates. Comptroller of Maryland. https://taxes.marylandtaxes.gov/…/Local_and_County_Tax_Rate…
4. Report to the Maryland General Assembly Class Size in Maryland Public Schools 2016-2017 School Year. Maryland Public Schools. Page 6. http://marylandpublicschools.org/…/20162017MDClassSizeRepor…
5. Superintendent's Proposed Budget Fiscal Year 2020. Harford County Public Schools. Page 30. https://www.hcps.org/…/FY20/2020SuperintendentProposedBudget
Harford County Council of PTAs
every child, one voice
National PTA has defined advocacy as the act of mobilizing individuals and local PTAs to work with Maryland PTA and National PTA to improve programs and policies that benefit our youth. read more
The Harford County Council of PTAs, Inc. was established in 1939 as a federation of PTAs in Harford County. read more
Meeting and training. Click HERE for dates.